This dress pattern can be downloaded as a free PDF at Tina Givens website. It is a signature style for this designer and very simple to sew. Ingeniously simple, which is right up my alley.

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/0b2/80720327/files/2014/12/img_0069-0.png

However, light drapey fabrics are recommended for this style, and it appears my rather substantial cotton, repurposed from a used sheet, did not quite fit the bill. When I tried the dress on after sewing front and back together, my first thought was ‘that looks just like scrubs’. To be fair, in a light voile or silk the look may be quite different, but for the fabric at hand what was needed was to make the cut-on sleeve narrower to achieve a closer fit in the shoulders and sleeves. A sleeve width of around 20-22cm on the front and back, or 40-44cm in the round is comfortable for me, but YMMV. This was easily achieved by continuing the side seam upwards and drawing a new sleeve seam parallel to the original one, but higher up.

The other change I made to the pattern was that I did not cut the front slit. I should be brave and give it a try, because this first version is only a muslin anyway, but I naturally shy away from anything that can not be undone if I don’t like it. And a cut right up the front of the garment is definitely in that category.

purple dress block print

So this is the finished dress. Not bad for a first attempt, but I think a closer fit in the shoulders would be more flattering. For this type of fabric, I would be inclined to superimpose one of my TNT bodices and short sleeves, instead of the original cut-on sleeve. I am not crazy about the sleeve hem sticking out the way it does.

As for the print, I think it should be smaller and closer together, as I already concluded in my previous post. Still, not bad for a first try and definitely has potentials watch this space.

DSC00058

Advertisements