The blue top is a bit of a blast from the past, made maybe three years ago when I was up to my neck in making Tessuti Fave Tops. I have moved on now sewing-wise, but only after, it has to be said, upwards of 20 versions of that pattern in every conceivable fabric. There are still plenty of them populating my wardrobe.
This is one I had not been wearing much, as it felt a bit plain. It had also got shorter than I like with washing, one of the rare times when not prewashing a fabric before sewing it up has come back to bite me. Normally, with the loose styles I prefer, it is not a problem. This one not only got shorter and wider after the first wash, but kept going for quite a few subsequent ones. Other than that the fabric was great, a substantial linen jersey, whose quality I got to appreciate after buying some rather lousy thin ones, and so I was reluctant to get rid of it.
Block printing it was of course the answer, nothing much to lose at this point and everything to gain. After testing my carved stamp on a scrap bit of fabric of a similar colour I was happy with the print, but didn’t do my usual test print on paper to work out how I was going to place the prints. Bad idea, because although I like the top, I wish I had placed the stamps closer together. Too late now!
If you are interested in block printing and want more information on the nitty-gritty of the technique, click on ‘Block Printing’ in the list of categories to the left of this post. It will take you to my other block printing posts, and especially the earlier ones explain in detail how it is done.
This is the first time I have printed a top after it has been sewn up, rather than printing straight after cutting out the pieces, but it went reasonably well. I put some paper inside the top so the ink would not bleed through, which proved unnecessary with the thickish jersey. Essential though, I would think, with silk or cotton voile.
You could quibble a bit about the way the pattern has been handled at the side seams, but I can live with the small imperfection. The top no longer languishes in my wardrobe for weeks on end, but has turned into a weekend favourite. Good enough, I would say. 🙂
A success always puts me on a high, so fired with zeal I printed another top, again a linen jersey. I bought this at the same time as the turquoise, and it had been sitting in my stash for years. I prewashed it, you will be glad to know, and hopefully it won’t get shorter and wider like its turquoise sibling. If anyone is interested in the pattern used for the top, I have written detailed instructions on how to make it on PatternReview.
I still have a brown piece of linen jersey, bought at the same time, and here are some ideas I have floating in my mind for printing. They are all black or grey on white backgrounds, but my background is of course brown, and the prints will most likely be black.